Derek Leathers, a Texas native, was raised in the Houston area. He earned a degree in economics from Princeton University, where he played center for the Princeton Tigers football team.
Following graduation, Derek embarked on a career in the trucking and logistics industry. He served as one of the first foreign members of CANACAR, Mexico’s trucking association, and helped draft the North American Free Trade Agreement.
Since joining Werner Enterprises in 1999, Derek has played an instrumental role in launching Werner’s cross border operations in Mexico and Canada. He served as president of Werner Global Logistics before accepting the role of President and CEO of Werner Enterprises.
Derek and his wife, Nicole, reside in Omaha, Nebraska, with their daughter, Olivia, and son, Creed. Derek enjoys sharing his passion for athletics by coaching softball and football. He is also very active in the local community with a particular focus on early childhood education and at risk youth. He currently serves on the board or in an advisory capacity to the following organizations:
- PlaySmart – Founder and current Board Member
- Accelerate Nebraska – Advisory Board Member
- AAA Baseball All-Star Board – Board Member
- Omaha Men Go Red – Founding Chair
- Nebraska’s Early Childhood Business Roundtable – Board Member
- Gretna Youth Sports Foundation – Board Member
- Omaha Chamber of Commerce – Board Member
- ALS Association Mid-America Chapter – Corporate Chair 2017 Walk to Defeat ALS
Derek can be reached at email@example.com.