CURRICULUM & ACTIVITIES
Many of the activities featured at our Academy are below:
- Warm-up, exercise and nutrition instruction for good health and physical fitness.
- A “learn to swim” or “learn to swim better” experience crucial for all youth.
- Exposure to 5-6 sports (some non-traditional such as lacrosse, rugby, archery, low/high ropes, rock climbing, fishing, tennis, volleyball).
- Life skills workshops on topics such as health/nutrition, leadership/service, confidence building, public speaking, manners and etiquette.
- Mentoring sessions with guest speakers such as professional athletes and coaches, Olympic athletes, elected officials, and community, faith and corporate leaders.
- Academic workshops focused on study and organization skills, time management, goal setting, subject specific skills and college/career readiness.
- Purpose driven field trips bringing the goals of the Academy to life for the participants (and to provide an extra element of fun).
PLAYSMART LEADERSHIP ACADEMY NOMINATION
The students will develop and be expected to implement a literacy based project during the 2015/2016 school year.
Who: Current 7th grade students who want to be developed into leaders through a week long leadership training
Participation in organized sports has both social and physical benefits for young children: physical, mood and mental health, self-esteem, and promotes positive social effects
SCHOOL YEAR ACADEMY ACTIVITIES
The purpose of these activities is to continue relationship building and to provide a “check-in” on the participant’s academic progress, athletic interests and overall well-being. Additionally, these meetings provide more time to reinforce the outcomes and goals of the Academy.
SUMMER ACADEMIES REGISTRATION AND INFORMATION
GET YOUR GAME ON
JUNE 5 – JUNE 9, 2023
9:30 am to 2:30 pm
THE KROC CENTER SALVATION ARMY
2825 Y Street, Omaha, NE
- Sports and Physical Fitness
- Swimming (all levels welcome; certified instruction/supervision provided)
- Life skills workshops
- Mentoring sessions with guest speakers and staff
- Academic enrichment workshops
- Lunch, snacks and drinks each day
- Transportation to/from the Academy site (as available)
- T-shirts and other cool stuff
- Instruction and guidance from background-screened and trained staff and volunteers
Space is limited. All participants must provide the following to attend:
- Completed participant application filled out by parent/guardian
- Signature of recommendation by a coach, teacher or mentor (see application)
- Chilren who meet the federal Free and Reduced Lunch guidelines receive priority
For further information and an Academy application please contact:
Principal at Elkhorn Valley View Middle School
Regional Director of PlaySmart
Leadership Academy Flyer
Download the 2022 PlaySmart Leadership Academy flyer.
Leadership Academy Registration
Download the 2022 PlaySmart Leadership Academy Registration form.
Leadership Academy Counselor Application
Download the 2022 PlaySmart Leadership Academy Counselor application and Child Interaction Policy.
Playsmart Leadership Academy Volunteer Counselor Application:
If you are interested in working with middle school students to help develop leadership and teamwork skills please fill out the application.
You will be working with students nominated by their teacher or principal who they see as potential leaders. These students will be coached on how to lead and will be put into situations where they will practice refining their skills on leadership. During this week long academy students will become confident leaders and be given tools to use back in their perspective schools. While attending the academy students will work on 5 Pillars: Respect, Sportsmanship, Teamwork, Honesty, and Hard work. They will be exposed to guest speakers throughout the week who have become leaders in their professions and will work on projects while attending the academy.