CURRICULUM & ACTIVITIES
Combining the best of summer “day-camps,” experiential education and athletics, the Academy provides an intensely unique but fun experience for middle school youth where sitting around is minimize, the learning and participating is maximized and the impact is real.
Many of the activities featured at our Academy are below:
- Warm-up, exercise and nutrition instruction for good health and physical fitness.
- A “learn to swim” or “learn to swim better” experience crucial for all youth.
- Exposure to 5-6 sports (some non-traditional such as lacrosse, rugby, archery, low/high ropes, rock climbing, fishing, tennis, volleyball).
- Life skills workshops on topics such as health/nutrition, leadership/service, confidence building, public speaking, manners and etiquette.
- Mentoring sessions with guest speakers such as professional athletes and coaches, Olympic athletes, elected officials, and community, faith and corporate leaders.
- Academic workshops focused on study and organization skills, time management, goal setting, subject specific skills and college/career readiness.
- Purpose driven field trips bringing the goals of the Academy to life for the participants (and to provide an extra element of fun).
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
The PlaySmart Academy is for school students (5th to 8th grade in the new school year) who have a desire to improve themselves – not just on the court or field but more importantly in life. The Academy is a fun, but intense program requiring full participatioin in in-door AND out-door sports, activities, life skill lessons and guest speakers/mentor sessions. Daily attendance and appropriate conduct is expected.
Participation in organized sports has both social and physical benefits for young children: physical, mood and mental health, self-esteem, and promotes positive social effects
David Wright, Chairman
SCHOOL YEAR ACADEMY ACTIVITIES
In order to further the development of our summer Academy participants, PlaySmart provides follow-up group activities throughout the school year on a weekend or off-school night. A local community center or middle school generally serves as the gathering place before each activity. These activities include but are not limited to community service projects, sporting events or other purpose driven events, leadership workshops with guest speakers and athletic opportunities such as pick-up games.
The purpose of these activities is to continue relationship building and to provide a “check-in” on the participant’s academic progress, athletic interests and overall well-being. Additionally, these meetings provide more time to reinforce the outcomes and goals of the Academy.
SUMMER ACADEMIES REGISTRATION AND INFORMATION
GET YOUR GAME ON
Coming Back in 2023
The PlaySmart Academy is a one-of-a-kind summer experience for underserved youth in our local community featuring sports, physical fitness, life skills development and enrichment. Join other young people for one-week of fun and memories that will last a lifetime!
- Sports and Physical Fitness
- Life skills workshops
- Mentoring sessions with guest speakers and staff
- Academic enrichment workshops
- Field trips (as available)
- Breakfast, lunch, snacks and drinks each day
- T-shirts and other cool stuff
- Transportation Provided
- Instruction and guidance from background-screened and trained staff and volunteers
Space is limited to 60 participants.
- No cost to participate
- Completed participant application filled out by parent/guardian
- Signature of recommendation by a coach, teacher or mentor (see application)